- An Application to Adopt Form must be filled in unless you have adopted from Save-a-Pet in the last 3 months.
- Viewing of animals is by appointment. An appointment will only be made after receipt and review of an Application to Adopt Form.
- After booking an animal* a property check will be arranged.
- A meet and greet with other pets may be arranged if needed.
- Once a property check has passed, another appointment will be made to complete the adoption (this includes signing the adoption contract and paying the adoption fee).
*When booking an animal, a non-refundable deposit of R100 is required per application, which is included in the total adoption fee. The non-refundable deposit is to cover the administration costs and the conducting of the home inspection.
- Applicants/Adopters must be 18 years of age or older.
- Save-a-Pet retains the right to accept or reject an application at any stage of the adoption process.
- We adopt animals into compatible homes. We may, in certain circumstances, reject an application for a particular animal, but recommend other animals who would be better suited.
- Animals younger than 6 months who are not yet sterilised cannot be adopted outside of a 1 hour’s drive radius of Gqeberha. Adopters must be able to travel to one of the veterinarians used by Save-a-Pet when the animal is due for spaying or neutering.
- Adopters may be required to pay for compulsory puppy classes when adopting certain dogs (e.g. power breeds) or under certain circumstances. This fee will be added to the standard adoption fee.
- R100 non-refundable deposit per application (will be deducted from adoption fee)
- Puppies and Dogs 5 years and under: R875.00
- Dogs 6 years and over: R650.00
- Dogs 10 years and over: R100.00
- Kittens: R600.00
- Adult Cats: R450.00
Adoption Fee Includes:
- Vaccinations up to the date of adoption.
- Up-to-date tick/flea prophylaxis and deworming.
Property inspection criteria:
- The property must be fully enclosed and secure.
- The property must be of a suitable size and nature for the animal being adopted.
- Suitable shelter must be available for dogs who are going to be outside at any stage.
- The property must be free of debris or materials that could potentially harm the animal.
- When adopting a puppy, any pools/ponds/bodies of water are to be securely covered or closed off.
- Additional criteria may be required when adopting specific animals, such as power breeds.
- Based on the property inspection, certain adjustments or conditions may be required in order to pass. A time limit will be stipulated by Save-a-Pet staff in which such adjustments or conditions should be met in order to retain a booking.
- (This is not a complete list – other criteria are also considered)